To comply with conditions of the lease process university computers must have a hardware warranty that covers spontaneous hardware failure for the duration of the lease. Desktops, laptops and different brands have different warranty conditions. This article is a summary for the benefit of those new to the university system. If you require more details they are here https://www.staff.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/home/staff-intranet/central-services/computing-and-technology/it-procurement/computers/pc-service-and-warranty .
- 4 year pro support for onsite hardware repair in case of natural failure. Phone 0800-203-355. Repair can be arranged by us or directly by the customer.
- If the desktop is likely to be in the possession of the university for longer than 4 years ensure the person wishing to keep it is informed they must arrange purchase. We will be charged for returning computers that are not working.
- 4 year 4 hour on site pro support for onsite hardware repair in case of natural failure. Phone 0800-203-355. Repair can be arranged by us or directly by the customer.
- 3 Years Coversure insurance. This covers accidental damage and documented theft. It is important to take photos of any broken windows or doors etc that led to the theft of the computer before the damage is repaired. The theft replacements must be done ASAP. Usually within a week but the university does successfully argue for longer lead times due to the nature of its administrative processes. If the replacement does not come within a few weeks it may require follow up. Appropriate changes and notes should be made in Kaos if it is theft and FOS finance informed so the asset registered can be modified. Forms to make insurance claims from the Dell Coversure insurance are available here https://www.staff.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/home/staff-intranet/central-services/computing-and-technology/it-procurement/computers/dell-laptop-insurance )
- If the laptop is likely to be in the possession of the university for longer than 3 years ensure the person wishing to keep it is informed they must arrange for repairs of accidental damage. We will be charged for returning computers to the leasing company that are not working or are working but un-reasonably damaged.
Mac Laptops and Desktops
Mac laptops and desktops are leased under the same warranty conditions.
- 3 year off site repair with on site pickup and delivery. There is currently a 3 day prescribed time limit for the process of repair fro the time of lodging the form. It is important to return leases promptly after their 3 year lease period otherwise the university will be charged for repairs that occur after 3 years.
- There is a complete set of instructions on this page https://www.staff.auckland.ac.nz/uoa/home/staff-intranet/central-services/computing-and-technology/it-procurement/computers/pc-service-and-warranty
- There is a form to fill out here https://secure.serviceplus.co.nz/uoa/ for our current supplier (2013)
- Purchased laptops mare sometimes done so with only 1 year warranty. This is not university policy but it can occur. It pays to check with the repairer to ensure the machine still has warranty cover as the cost of repair can often approach the cost of replacement if the machine is towards the end of it’s life.
- If the laptop is likely to be in the possession of the university for longer than 3 years ensure the person wishing to keep it is informed they must arrange for repairs of hardware or accidental damage. We will be charged for returning computers to the leasing company that are not working or are working but un-reasonably damaged.